3/25/10

Read-A-Thon time again!


What's happening - I just signed up for the 24 hour read-a-thon! It starts April 10th. Ashley is going to be doing it with me again this time. Only instead of leaving to go to work in the middle she is working early and will join me after work and read through the night (which is the hardest time). Actually the hardest time for me was the early morning - those last 4 hours! I am going to be reading a different type of book this time. Last Oct. I read regular novels and a couple Bios. So I ended up only reading 4-5 books (can't remember) so this time I am going to read YA books, much shorter, quicker and easier to read. Next week I will post a list of my books.

We are suppose to have much better weather this week. Last week was terrible. One day it didn't get above 27. Another day, we actually had a dusting of snow on the ground. Easter weekend is suppose to be great - high 70's!!!!

What is everyone doing for Easter? We go out for dinner. It is the only Holiday that we go out for. It is a nice break from cooking and cleaning up. We go to a nice restaurant in Waterloo called Emile's. It will be Glen & I, Glen's parents, and Micah & Ashley. No Easter baskets anymore, but we got Ashley a little something (ssshhhh, don't tell).

Hey! Big news! We got an offer on our lake property in the Thousand Isles! YEA!!!! We countered and they accepted our counter. So please pray that everything goes well.

TV -
LOST- All about Richard, very strange, kind of like "The Stand" Good vs. Evil.
American Idol- After singing Billboard's chart toppers Paige goes home. I am sorry to say, sge was really terrible! Weeks ago I thought she had a chance of winning, but she just got worse and worse.
Survivor- Oh my word!!!!! Tyson, are you stupid?????? Tyson ended up sending himself home by voting for the wrong person!
Amazing Race- Phew! That was a close one! The cowboys came in last (to be eliminated) but... this was a non-elimination round, so they are still in it.
Dancing with the Stars - After the first dance of the season - I was only really impressed with a couple of people. I thought Nicole Scherzinger from "The Pussycat Dolls" was the best by a long shot! I like her, she is very beautiful and sweet. She is my pick!

Knitting - I felted the clogs! Oh my gosh! They are awesome! I think these are one of the best things I have ever made. I would like to make them for Christmas gifts for my family.
These are a pair of socks I am making for myself. My friend Pat gave me the yarn a while ago. It is acrylic yarn that feels and looks like a cotton.


Books I have read - I finally got to read "The Sweet By and By" by country singer Sara Evans and Rachel Hauck. I was sooo excited to read this book because I am a huge fan of Sara's, and I was so excited that she had written a book (the first in a series!). Well... I am even more excited now I finished it, excited to be reading more from her! It was great. A very sweet, christian oriented, story about a woman who was getting married and for some reason didn't want to invite her mother to the wedding. Through the story you will get to know Jade and her families past. It had lots of nice little surprises. I guess it could almost be a love story but is really more of a family conflict story. Great book - let me know if you would like to barrow it.

Also read "Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod" by Gary Paulsen - 5 stars+++. This is one of the best books I have read. It is definitely going on my Top 10 books list. Gary Paulsen is also the author of "Hatchet" as well as many other adult and YA books. This is his true account of training and running in the Iditarod. If you are interested in the Iditarod, or Alaska, or dogs - you should read this book. The first part of the book, where he is training himself and the dogs, is just hilarious! I was laughing out loud so hard I had big tears rolling down my face and I could no longer see to read. I also own this book, so if you would like to borrow it let me know.

Contests - My friend Toni from A Circle of Books, is giving away 5 copies of a The Bride Collector from one of my favorite authors - Ted Dekker! - HERE I am so excited about this!!! If you love adventure, action, suspense, thrillers - you have to enter to win this! Ted Dekker is one of the best suspense/thriller writers I know! Toni has also knitted an adorable little "death dude" to go along with the book. Great giveaway, Toni!

Dar from - Peeking Between the Pages is giving away 2 copies of "The Stolen Crown" by Susan Higginbotham - HERE, and an ARC of The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison - HERE

AND - be sure to sign up for my giveaway - HERE

Top 5 - Things you are allergic to -
1. Poison ivy- I am so allergic that if I get within 6 feet of the stuff, the fumes will jump through the air onto me and within a couple hrs. I will be covered!
2. Perfume - I will feel as though I have been drugged, get sleepy, light headed and running out of air.
3. The scent of fresh mowed grass - I will get this "green" taste in the back of my throat that will linger for hrs and make me sick to my stomach.
4. Chlorine - Only a certain kind of chlorine that is used in hot tubs. It really effects me, like instantly. I can't breath, start gagging, coughing, and need to run to get air.
5. Bar soap - Liquid soap is fine, just the bars (I have to stay away from the bars! LOL) I don't even have to use them, just to stand in the shower and have the water running over them makes my eyes burn and start watering.

11 comments:

  1. Another American Idol addict! I agree, Paige was cute as can be but oh, that last performance.... sigh. I hope they all do better this week, but then I feel really bad when they do great but they go home anyway. My fav? Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readathon?
    You go girl!

    LOST: I LOVED this epy. Thank you Lost writers. Finally some insight :) I can't wait for more.

    Ooooo the Sweet By and By? I have been wanting to read that for ages. I love Sara Evans.

    Things I'm allergic to:
    1. Dust mites = Little invisible buggers send my allergies in to overdrive.
    2. Milk (slightly) = I eat cheese but can't drink milk or eat yogurt.
    3. Celery & 4. Green beans = not allergic - just hate them.
    5. Tomatoes = Like tomato sauce but can't stand tomatoes themselves because of the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the slippers. Can I put my order in?

    Good luck on the read-a-thon.

    Congrats on selling your lake property.

    Lost!!!!! How is old is Richard, anybody know?

    Thanks for the contests. Love to enter them.

    Top 5:
    1] Sulfa drugs including over the counter ones, anything that contains sulfa. I should wear something to state that. I do carry in my wallet a medic alert card behind my license.
    2] grass. smell doesn't bother me[like the smell] I just can't roll in it.
    3] some skin care. don't know what is in it but I brake out.
    4] rainy days
    5] work
    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very important one top 5,
    nickle, any thing that has nickle in it...like fashion jewelry Need the real thing....
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. The clogs are great! Love that shade for the socks.

    I'm going to do the read-a-thon unofficially this year I think. Maybe I'll do a better job. lol.

    Things allergic to:
    1. All nuts - fatally
    2. perfume - causes major migraines

    That's really about it. Have a great week Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so allergic to poison ivy! i only got it once, but I had to be put on steroids to get rid of it. Awful!!

    I won't be doing the marathon this time around, my schedule won't allow it. I thought I'd have time since Basketball ended, but guitar takes up more time. But good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you add anything to the bottom of the clogs, or is just the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those clogs are beautiful!!! And I agree w/ you - Paige was awful on American Idol. Last night - Lee was awesome though! I think I"m rooting for him now!
    Some things I'm allergic to (and some of these I didn't know until I had an allergy test):
    1. Mowed grass - like you
    2. Trees
    3. Cats (but yes, I still had to have one!)
    4. Cockroaches....don't ask!
    5. Any perfume from Avon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, the Readathon! I am exited to participate this year, although I will probably only do a couple of hours. :)

    I've got an award for you on my blog, make sure you claim it!

    http://cunnninghamfan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hope you like the books that you got recommendations from me for!!! Now I am nervous haha. You'll have to tell me how you like them (if you don't end up doing reviews, that is)!

    I can't really do a top 5 allergic thing because I don't have any that I know of. Sometimes freshly cut grass on bare skin makes me itchy but that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the felted clogs! Thanks for posting the link. Also, those green socks look wonderful--love that shade! :)

    ReplyDelete