5/27/09

Celebrating "almost" summer!

Salmon River Reservoir



Me, rescuing a turtle that was in the middle of the road.



Martina in a bag! she just loves getting into things!





What's happening - Saturday was spent getting stuff done around the house. My hubby worked up at the barn property burning stuff and mowing.
On Sunday we took a drive up to "Tug Hill" For those of you who are not from around here The Tug Hill Plateau is west of the Adirondacks. What makes it special is all the rivers, creeks and lakes. You go from small town to small town. In the winter, what makes is special is the snow!!! It is the snowmobiling capital of NY! They get feet and feet of snow. Like it is not unheard of for them to get 12 feet of snow! The snowmobile trails up there are like three lane highways. So we had fun just driving around. We stopped at the Salmon River Reservoir. Which is a very big lake in Redfield. We ate our lunch at a little park there. Does anyone know the difference between a lake and a reservoir?

I just found out that my husband has to go to West Virginia on Tues.! They have to haul equip. back and forth between WV and PA. So he will be gone for a good many days. He thinks about 6 days. I am making him a good dinner tonight then I will help him pack. I know some of you would hate this life style. but I really don't mind it! I encouraged him to take the job and told him I would be supportive and not complain. I cherish the time we spend together (like this weekend) but I also am very independent and I do like being alone! So for me this is the best of both worlds.

Knitting - I am knitting myself a summer tank! I love the colors,it is a cotton year and is really soft. It is a real simple 4 row repeat. So far, I like it!


Books I have read - The Ballad of Frankie Silver" by Sharyn McCrumb. I liked this book (but didn't love it). It was two mysteries in one. One took place in 1831. An 18 yr. old girl was hung for killing her husband. This part was suppose to be true, I haven't looked it up yet. I really liked this part of the book mostly because I love historical books and I also fell in love the Frankie (Francis). The other part was present time double murder on the Appalachian Trail. This part was OK but I didn't think it was as interesting as the historical part. This took place in TN.

Contests - Dar at Peeking through the pages, is having a few giveaways! Scroll down on her site to find them!

My mom won two books this week! So congrats. to her! go mom, go mom!

Reading through the states -
1. California - Echoes, by Erin Grady
2. Florida - In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner
3. Iowa - The Learning, by Ruthann Weaver
4. Massachusetts (Cape Cod) - A Year by the Sea, by Joan Anderson
5. South Carolina - Bastard out of Carolina, by Dorothy Allison
6. Kentucky - The Believers, by Janice Holt Giles
7. Minnesota - Hit By a Farm, by Catherine Friend
8. North Carolina - Scrambled Eggs at Midnight, by Brad Barkley & Heather Hepler
9. Montana - My Hutterite Life, by Lisa M. Stahl
10. Kansas - Waiting for Summer's Return, by Kim Vogel Sawyer
11. Idaho - Indian Creek Chronicles, by Pete Fromm
12. New York - The Lives they Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic, by Darby Penney and Peter Stastny
13. Arizona - Whispers, by Erin Grady
14. Alabama - The Florabama Ladies' Auxiliary Sewing Circle, by Lois Battle
15. Alaska - Building from Within: Alaskans Who Build Their Own, by Joan Koponen
16. Colorado - Tomboy Bride, by Harriet Fish Backus
17. Wisconsin - Welcome to Tyler: Whirlwind, by Nancy Martin
18. Arkansas - Sweet Baby, Sharon Sala
19. Washington - North of Beautiful, by Justina Chen Headley
20. Illinois - The Perfect Match, by Kimberly Cates
21. Wyoming - Letters of a Woman Homesteader, by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
22. Hawaii - Flip Flopped, by Jill Smolinski
23. New Hampshire – Handle With Care, by Jodi Picoult
24. Tennessee - The Ballad of Frankie Silver, by Sharyn McCrumb


Top 5 - Favorite movies (PLEASE keep the categories, just type in your answers)

1. Chick Flick - "Sleepless in Seattle"
2. Classic - "Gone with the Wind"
3. Book turned into movie - "Message in a Bottle"
4. Action Movie - "Die Hard"
5. Favorite all time Movie - "Dances with Wolves"

12 comments:

  1. Frankly - I would love that lifestyle too. It's so important to have your "alone" time so you don't lose yourself in a marriage. Too many women give up their entire personal lives just to give their all to their husbands, not realizing they are losing a part of themselves. You go girl!!! Yah for independence.

    Top 5 - Favorite movies

    1. Chick Flick - "The Notebook"
    2. Classic - "Mary Poppins"
    3. Book turned into movie - I will have to get back to you on this one.
    4. Action Movie - "300"
    5. Favorite all time Movie - "Weird Science"

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have never been to Salmon River Reservoir. What area is this in? Good for you saving that poor turtle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for saving the turtle! You're a good soul! Nice photos too!! I also like the colors you're using in your summer tank. LOL at Martina - I think she's related to my Marvin - he's always hopping into my bags!

    1. Chick Flick - Steel Magnolias
    2. Classic - All About Eve
    3. Book turned into movie - To Kill a Mockingbird
    4. Action Movie - Indiana Jones
    5. Favorite all time Movie - Out of Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The knitted sweater looks nice and comfortable.

    A saver of turtles I see. I knew I liked you!!!

    1. Chick Flick - Pride and Prejudice
    2. Classic - The King and I
    3. Book turned into movie - The Notebook
    4. Action Movie - Bourne movies
    5. Favorite all time Movie - Evita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, It was so nice of you to save the turtle.
    Can't wait to see the finished sweater. Love the color.
    I can't believe I won some books...I never win anything. I am so excited.
    I also don't mind being alone. It is nice to be able to take time for your self...every one needs this. It is very sad that some women need a MAN around in order to feel good. Glad I brought you up to be INDEPENDENT!
    Top 5:
    1] Chick Flick-Steele Magnolias
    2] Classic-Wizard of OZ
    3] Book into Movie-Godfather
    4] Action-Indiana Jones
    5] Favorite-can't decide,way to many.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your pictures. Martina is adorable as always. I love the colors you're using for your summer tank. I saw one on the Lion Brand email I got the other day that I just loved but I don't know that I have enough patience to knit it. lol.

    Chick Flick: Notting Hill
    Classic: Gone With the Wind
    Book Turned into Movie: Message in a Bottle
    Action Movie: Terminator
    Favorite all time Movie: Harry Potter flicks

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5]all time favorite-Hobbit movies
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the different stuff going on in your blog! Added you to my favorites too :) I may do a feature on my linked blogs soon if that's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those river pics are really pretty.

    Top 5 - Favorite movies

    1. Chick Flick - When Harry Met Sally
    2. Classic - Breakfast at Tiffany's
    3. Book turned into movie - Rebecca
    4. Action Movie - Indiana Jones
    5. Favorite all time Movie - Kramer vs. Kramer

    ReplyDelete
  10. That summer tank is amazing...

    The photos.. awh.. they take me away.

    The kitty in the bag is precious.

    And I could kick myself for dropping in so late to you "oh so fabulous" blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blog!! How can I get me some knitted socks?

    Top 5 - Favorite movies

    1. Chick Flick - Sleepless in Seattle
    2. Classic - The Princess Bride
    3. Book turned into movie - Anne of Green Gables
    4. Action Movie - The Bourne Trilogy
    5. Favorite all time Movie - Pure Luck

    ReplyDelete